Friday, October 27, 2006

Bib # 9399

My registration card has arrived!

I am number 9399, out of about 40,000 runners. I have been training for this since early July and I am physically and mentally ready. Mentally sound? that's another question....

So now the question is how to run this race?

This is where the answer to mentally sound may be found.....

Should I stick to the training group plan, run the first 16 miles at 8:30 per mile, the next 4 at 8:15 and then "race" the final 6.2 at whatever faster pace I have left in the tank?
This is the training plan. This plan (I believe) will bring me safely to the finish line without too much excessive pain and suffering at around 3 hours and 40 minutes if all goes well.

This is the simpler, gentler approach compared to my previous marathons. I'm about 80% sold on this plan. Enjoy the running group, enjoy the scenery, have fun. This is plan A for the "easy runner". The coaches plan, the team plan, the sane plan.

Sounds pretty good...at least to my kinder, gentler self.

The other alternative is to push the envelope, try to run 8 minute miles for the first 20 miles, and hope to hold on with that pace for the final 6.2 mile. If I feel okay at the end, maybe I can pick it up a bit for the final 2 miles. This is the old competitor in me saying..."push it, go faster, see what you still have in the tank, no guts, no glory". This is my scary self, willing to take on bigger challenges than necessary to see how I can do. This is the guy who wants to see if he can outrun the aging process. If I can run the race according to this plan, I should complete the race with a time of about 3 hours and 30 minutes.

This is plan B for the "no pain, no gain" runner. With this plan I am sure to have trouble walking for 1 to 2 weeks afterwards due to sore feet and legs. I also run the risk of running out of gas well before the finish line and "bonking" or slowing down to a snails pace just to finish.

I don't know what I'm going to do.

It will depend on how I feel the day of the race, what the weather is like and how the first few miles go.

Stay tuned to find out!

Cheers

Peers

P.S.
Now that I have proof read this post I'm 85% sure I'm going with plan A!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Peers -- I vote for plan "A". I'm not going to wish you luck, because I know you are ready!